SmartBone is an exciting composite graft material specifically developed for regeneration in oral and maxillofacial reconstructive surgery.
Produced by combining natural bone structures with bioactive resorbable polymers, SmartBone allows patients’ cells to grow quickly and efficiently. This occurs whilst biopolymers degrade, providing perfect integration and osteogenesis.
Advantages of SmartBone
- Easy, dust-free shaping
- Superior bone grafting stability vs loose granules
- Effortlessly absorbs blood
- No resorption
- Reduce morbidity
- Resistant to heavy loads
Advanced Bovine Bone Matrix
SmartBone is produced using a revolutionary bovine-derived mineral matrix that combines natural mineral bone structures with bioresorbable polymers and collagen fragments.
Typically, bovine bone has a chemical structure and a morphology that closely resembles that of human bone. However, despite being rigid, it is not elastic, making it too fragile as the mineral matrix loses its biomechanical properties as proteins are lost during the cleansing process.
This new biomaterial assembly allows cells to regenerate quickly and efficiently into the bone substitute while the biopolymers degrade, providing perfect integration and osteogenesis.
As the SmartBone closely mimics human bone, it is ultra-robust and resistant to shaping, screws and surgical fixation manoeuvres.
Super Strong and Easy to Shape
SmartBone blocks are designed to withstand harsh shaping without breaking into pieces or powder formation.
The robust composition allows drill holes to be made in close proximity while screws stay firmly in place.
High Hydrophilicity and Fast Osteointegration
Thanks to its microcomposition, SmartBone quickly reaches an av. 38%w/w blood swelling ratio. This sparks a chemical signalling cascade that induces a robust osteointegration.
Choose the Right Shape for Any Procedure
SmartBone is available in three states; microchips, blocks and plates.
- High Tissue Integration - Smartbone's microstructure and composition mimics human bone and favours cell colonisation. Microscopic analysis of in vitro cell colonisation tests evidenced the presence of wide and well-structured cell formations inside Smartbone.
- High Hydrophilicity - Thanks to its microcomposition, Smartbone readily absorbs blood and quickly reaches an average 38% blood swelling, thereby allowing a robust osseointegration.
- High Mechanical Performances - Smartbone has a rigid pseudo-elastic behaviour withstanding heavy surgical manoeuvres and precision shaping. It bears 3 times the competitor's maximum load and is 4 times more rigid offering a high tenacity to fixation screws.
- Open Porosity and Microstructure - The microstructure of Smartbone's composite matrix strongly resembles the human bone in terms of an open mid-sized 27% porosity.
- Extremely High Biocompatibility - Fully compliant with ISO 10993 requirements; optimal results during in vivo investigations and clinical trials.